Sunday, March 28, 2010

Palm Sunday


As a writer, video producer and owner of

Livingston Productions, I strive to tell stories that get the viewer involved, make them feel something, and sometimes prompt them to act. On this Palm Sunday, our 17-year old daughter Brittany is teaching me a lesson about emotional stories that compel people to act.

Brittany left at 2am this morning on a mission of presence to El Salvador. The tiny mountaintop village where she’ll stay has no running water and one paved road. It is named in honor of Father Ignacio Ellacuria, a Jesuit priest who was murdered by the El Salvador death squads in 1989 because he stood up for his rights. Her mission over this Holy Week will be to listen to the stories of the residents of Ignacio Ellacuria who have been ravaged by civil war, play with the children orphaned by the violence and then work with the community to make improvements for next year. As one of three juniors chosen for this year’s delegation, Brittany has the honor of returning next year. Past delegations from Notre Dame Prep have worked to build a youth center and a church and upgrade the elementary school. The girls at NDP raise funds all year long for improvements and for scholarship money to send local students to high school. They bring with them about 500 pounds of clothes, medicine and school supplies that they’ve collected. They sleep on the floor of a daycare center. They eat meals of beans and rice served on plates borrowed from villagers. The one bath she’ll get this week is on Wednesday in a river where she’ll take the kids swimming. Did I mention she has been looking forward to this since freshman year?

Britt and her NDP sisters will be greeted by cheering children of Ignacio Ellacurio. To them, this Easter pilgrimage is our equivalent of Christmas. But it is in giving that the girls receive. Britt will return with nothing in her backpack, but her heart will be overflowing. This is our daughter’s choice for Spring Break 2010.

Strange, isn’t it that it’s so easy for me to tell you how proud I am of Brittany and the good work she’s doing, but I wonder if I told her? Among the reminders about mosquito repellant (malaria), Cipro (parasites), sunscreen (Equator), and camera (yearbook editor), did I tell her that she is remarkable? Did I say that she is doing God’s work? Did I say that I’ll miss her every second she’s gone? No, I’m sure I didn’t. It was 2am and hope that I love you said it all.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful MB!!!! Brit is an amazing girl that has been raised by wonderful people. Good Job Brit!!!! Maribeth please give her a hug for me!!!

    ReplyDelete