Saturday, March 27, 2010

Brave New World

My apologies to Aldous Huxley; I'm referring to the brave new world of blogging. In a way, this is a return to my past. A journalist by trade, a journal-writer by experience, I've always found it cathartic to write. Wonder where those notebooks full of musings are now?

Whether it's the to-do lists that I make for myself (and my husband) or the vid
eos I create for my clie
nts, I'm always writing something. For 20+ years, I cranked out news stories for local TV. I prided myself on being fast, accurate and on occasion, creative. More than a few years ago, I left local news to create my own production business. I am blessed to do what I do. I occasionally miss the excitement of a huge news day, but I live vicariously through Scott who holds the reigns at the Fox affiliate in Baltimore. The bulk of my work is for corporate, medical and academic clients who want to impress, inform and inspire their employees/clients/sponsors. Not coincidentally, the Livingston Productions tag line is impress, inform, inspire.

A perfect example is the project I'm doing now for the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, arguably the best trauma hospital in the world. Every year, for the past seven, I've been hired to tell the amazing stories of two patients saved over the previous year. These are people who have been to the brink of death and have fought their way back. Miracles, yes! These patients and their families share what is undoubtedly the worst experience of their lives-- and they do it because they are so grateful for the dozens if not hundreds of people responsible for their recovery.

Kayla and Devon are the two patients I'm profiling this year. Both teenagers at the time of their injuries, they are each doing remarkably well. Kayla suffered three cardiac arrests and anoxic brain injury after a terrible car crash in January 2009.

Waking up from a brain injury is not like it is in the movies. It isn't pretty; it isn't quick. When those 5 billion cells in your brain decide to wake up, they are a bit confused to say the least! Her parents never gave up hope and they attribute her recovery to the amazing care she got and the multitude of prayers that were said for her. Amen to that!

Devon's story is equally amazing. At age 15, he was hunting with his family when a cousin accidentally shot him through the abdomen with a 30.06 at close range. That's a gun designed to kill a deer instantly. Devon did not die. In fact, he remained conscious, yelled for 911 and packed his own wounds with dish towels until help arrived. Thanks to the amazing Maryland EMS and trauma system, Devon made it to definitive care in time to stop the bleeding and save his life. Six months and 11 surgeries later, Devon is without a kidney, spleen, part of a pancreas and 75% of his stomach, but he has regained ALL OF HIS FUNCTION!


I am humbled by the amazing work of the firefighters, paramedics, flight medics, helicopter pilots, doctors, nurses, therapists and everyone else who has a hand in saving lives. They are the most committed people I have ever met and it's an honor to tell their stories.

Kayla and Devon and their heroes will be honored at the Shock Trauma Gala on April 24.
Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment